In a normal daily life, living without ambulation is almost impossible for any human being, from the time immemorial to ultramodern life. The quote ‘A man is as strong as his back’ clearly indicates the importance of back and of course it is the most neglected part in the body. The most common disorder, which affects the movement of leg particularly in most productive period of life, is low back pain.
Back Pain – Most Ignored Health Issue
Everybody experiences backache or back pain some time in life and it assumes significance to look into this phenomenon in this age given the change in lifestyle and the increase in deskbound jobs that expect one’s back to be straight and sturdy. The spinal cord that actually aches in a backache is an essential and vital bone of the body also known as the life bone and is a composition of muscles, bones and elastic tissue. The spine at the center of the back is made of 24 block bones, piled one above the other. The spine holds the body upright and ensures mobility of the body. Inter-vertebral discs cushion in between the bony blocks to keep the bones from rubbing each other.
Inter-vertebral discs facilitate movement and act as shock absorbers for the back. Different types of backache are the common ailments of human body, which if not given its due share of attention and concern can create disorder in the most intense manner to the body. The back that keeps the body steady and helps mobility can cause immense difficulty in continuing with routine tasks if not taken care of. Back pain, discomfort and inability to carry routine tasks are common hindrances brought about by a backache.
As the medical science recognized the severity, a medicament that relieves the pain, improves the functional ability, restore from functional disability and controls the condition with cost effectiveness is the need of the century.
Also Read:-What are Common Problems during Menopause
INCIDENCE AND PRELEVANCE
The word ‘prevalence’ of Back pain usually means the estimated population of people who are managing Back pain at any given time (i.e., people with Back pain). The term ‘incidence’ of Back pain means the annual diagnosis rate, or the number of new cases of Back pain diagnosed each year (i.e., getting back pain).
- 6 million cases annually (unreliable estimate).
- Approx. 1 in 45 or 2.21% or 6 million people in USA.
- 1,993,000 women self-reported having back pain or disc disorders in Australia 2001
FEW INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT BACK PAIN
- One-half of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. In fact, back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office.
- Most cases of back pain are mechanical or non-organic—meaning they are not caused by serious conditions, such as inflammatory arthritis, infection, fracture or cancer.
- Americans spend at least $50 billion each year on back pain—and that’s just for the more easily identified costs.
- Experts estimate that as many as 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some time in our lives.
- In India, occurrence of low back pain is alarming; nearly 60 per cent of the people in India have had significant back pain at some time or the other in their lives.
There are various factor which are responsible for the Low Back Pain. Among them few are –
- Weight gain during pregnancy
- Physical stress like excess bearing of weight, falling from a height etc.
- Inappropriate sitting and standing postures
- Poor sleeping position
- Various diseases like arthritis, sciatica, disc herniation, spine infection etc.
- Repeated bending
- Sedentary life style
- Obesity etc.
WHAT ONE CAN DO FOR PREVENTION?
There is a famous saying that prevention is always better then cure. One can prevent from getting back pain. Things like –
- Yoga – Yoga posture are the real boon for healthy life span. If a person is healthy, can practice the following asanas for strengthening the lower back. A person with low back pain is seriously recommended to consult the health advisor.
Bhujanga Asana (Cobra Pose)
Makara Asana (Crocodile Posture)
Shashank Asana (Hare Posture)
Marichya Asana (Saint Marichi Pose)
- Control over obesity – yes reducing the fat is must and should. As it avoids the unwanted weight over spine.
- Always erect your spine while sitting and standing.
- Don’t pick heavy weight if not necessary.
- Change the sedentary lifestyle pattern with active one i.e., wake up early, morning walk etc.
- Eat healthy and limited.
- Regular visit to your health advisor.
By:- Dr Munish Kumar Insan BAMS MD (Ayurveda)